Tuesday, May 29, 2012

What the Lochness?

May 23
Today, would be the day 
I would arrive in Scotland.
I can't believe this part of the study abroad is
already 
here.
Before getting on the road again 
and leaving Ambleside behind,
it was time for another hike.
I even got to be like a ballerina,
tip-toeing across the river
on these nice rocks.

Later MaCall and I even found this lovely fountain.
It was refreshing.
Just like Sprite.
Back on the coach.
Choo chooo!
Well, it doesn't make that noise...like I wish it did.
But our coach driver,
Mr. Peter,
he was pretty snazzy.
He always just says, 
"Okay,"
when people say thank you.
It makes me smile...a lot :)
We got to stop at this mysterious stone circle
called Castlerigg.
Chyea, if it were celebrating its first birthday,
Stonehenge wouldn't have been invited.
That's right.
Castlerigg is even older
It only seemed appropriate to do some planking.

Time for Scotland?
I do think so.
We headed to Edinburgh and went straight to our
Hostel
Oh yes, that's right.
My bed had a number on it...3
I felt like Jean Val Jean in Les Miserables.
I'd rather not dwell on that experience.
But I do feel like we should each get some kind of 
wilderness explorer badge
for sticking it out there.
Edinburgh impressed me that first day.
My, oh my.
I even got to go to 
The Elephant House Cafe
.....
know what that is?
It's the Birthplace of Harry Potter!

It was here that J.K. Rowling sat,
looked longingly out the window at the famous castle
and started her brainstorming for the 
greatest series ever!
I tried to have the seriousness of the moment
reflected in my very soul.


That only lasted about a second though...
until I found this awesome elephant chair.
Elephants are my favorite animals.
Shout out to my Squirt :)


And then the hikes continued.
After a delicious, delectable, mmm-tastic 
piece of chocolate cake
my buddy Cree and I walked up to the top of 
Calton Hill.
That place was beautiful and all
but I was blown away when we reached 
Arthur's Seat.

I had a bit of a moment up there.
I've never felt so small in my whole life,
and yet so important at the same time.
I know that Heavenly Father knows who I am
and he knows who you are too.

This is me writing this all down.
Of course I couldn't help but smile at the thought of that.

May 24
Oooh Smartcity hostels.
Thanks for the interesting night.
I will miss the singing outside my window all night long.
Good morning Edinburgh!
We started off the day with a tour from 
this nice-old-man in his kilt.
He likes to make jokes...a lot of jokes.

Us wee lasses couldn't do much more laughin
by the end of that tour.
The castle was sweet though.
I kept trying to spot Rapunzel
but then again,
she ran off with Mistah Flynn Rider.


See that crazy cool place below MaCall and I?
That's Edinburgh...
and a delightful old couple.
So tender!

And of course we had to get a picture like this.
It was fun to catch them 
when they were just walking around.
We were allowed to talk with them and everything!
Deluxe.
 And I just like their outfits.
Toga parties, really?
 How about we bring out the kilts!


 We had the rest of the day to just wander.
Wandering is different here in the UK.
When you get lost here,
it's not scary.
It's just beautiful.
So if someone yelled to me
"Get lost!"
I'd say...
"Alrighty chap, I accept your challenge."
 Tonight, we drove out to York.
The city was quiet
as we dipped in and out of alley ways.
I think the best part of tonight was 
pulling into the Holiday Inn.
Kate and I just ran, jumped on the bed
and layed there for a minute.


Secret?
I took the pen from the room to remind me of the
pure bliss
I felt when seeing this clean, 
toe-nail-clipping-free room.
Really, happiness is in everything.
And now it's in my Holiday Inn pen.

Tomorrow...York time.
I wonder if they have peppermint patties... 
:)

2 comments:

  1. Shout out from Squirt! This is his favorite post, though hopes you left the other elephant behind. Lots on TV about the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, very exciting that you will be there for the big celebration. Live it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to here about York! GF so happy you enjoyed MOST of Scotland. Remind us to tell you about some of the places we stayed! It'll make your hostel sound spiffy.

    ReplyDelete