Sunday, May 13, 2012

Double Green Walkers in Paris

Ah!
I've let myself fall behind on this baby.
I was in Paris though...
so I think it's okay :)
It all started back on May 9
a las cinco y media
(5:30 am)
to catch the chunnel at 6:15 am.
Which was rough
and yet oh so okay
since it was taking us all to Paris.
And we got to spend
three
lovely days there.
(and a whole lotta' money buying delicious food)
My thoughts...
Day 1: "I'm the stair master."
Day 2: "I'm de-feet-ed."
Day 3: "This place is amazing."
Day 1: May 9
We arrived at our hotel,
checked into our room
and went straight to hittin up the city of love.
We just took a nice little stroll
down the
Champs Elysees
which took us straight to the
Arc de Triomphe.
Did we climb the stairs to the top of that nice lil' arch?
Best believe we did.
Here's Erin and I at the top!

 Looking around, we felt like we were
on top of the world.
And yes, arc de triomphe,
I did feel triumphant up there,
but we had no idea how we'd feel
once we reached
the top of the eiffel tower!
I don't just mean the top.
I mean the tippiest,
toppiest
top
you can get
on the eiffel tower.
We got a little lost on the way over there.
Weird, since it's a
GIANT
tower sticking out in the middle of the sky,
I know :)
But we found it and went right to hiking.
Check out that view!
You hear the angels singing, Mom?

MaCall and I were roommates for the Paris trip...
so here we are checkin out the view!
We had some good fun, I just love her.

Here I am in front of the eiffel tower...crazy cool!

We enjoyed some delicious gelato at a nice little cafe outside.
So surreal.
I had the yellow one...it's mango.
The "M" in mango stands for "Mmmm"
This picture just makes me all around happy.

Here's MaCall and I againnnn.

That night, we hopped aboard the nice version of
The Black Pearl.
A.K.A.
we got on a beautiful boat (pearls are beautiful...)
 and it took us through the
dark
black-y
night.
Instead of looking for pirates we just got to sit,
wave to the nice people on the banks of the river,
listen to fun French music
and soak it all in.
The grand finale was
the eiffel tower sparkling.
That's what a real paparazi looks like.
And oh boy oberto beef jerkey,
the eiffel tower itself has quite the paparazi.


Day 2: May 10
Breakfast at our hotel was a starry eyed surprise.
I've decided that it made up
for all the other weird different things about the place.
Like...no outlets in the bathrooms,
no shower curtains,
and weird elevators.
Today I
"sailed through time, back to yester-years."
(yes, i just quoted The Parent Trap)
I came to Paris almost 3 years ago with
my Mom, cousin Anna and Aunt Carol
and today,
I went back to all the fun places we visited together.
- Sainte-Chapelle
- La Conceirgerie
- Notre Dame
- Latin Quarter
-Musee d'Orsay
- The bakery I always enjoyed a chocolate chip muffin at
- Our hotel
...And even stood outside...
-the weird night club across the way who's selling pitch is
"Sexy club for crazy night."


I also got to visit some other places that I quite enjoyed.
- Luxembourg Gardens
- The Pantheon
...and...
- Hotel de les Invaledes
(Napoleon's tomb is here...it is massive)

After visiting the Notre Dame...
I ate the best crepe of my entire life.
It was nutella, bananas and coconut.


And I ate the whole thing.
I don't know who this bike belongs to...
but I would like to thank them
for letting me lean against it for but a moment.


Next it was off to the Latin Quarter.
Ohh so many memories all came back at once.
I loved seeing the places I visited once before
and couldn't' help but think of my Mom.
We had the best time together.

We ate at this bakery every morning.
I always got the chocolate-chip muffin.
So of course I had to get one again...
even though this was minutes after finishing my
massive crepe.


This little baby gave me the energy to then continue the walk
to the
Luxembourg Gardens.
That place is nice.
I especially enjoyed seeing some baby duckies there.
We all just sat next to this fountain for a good 45 minutes
soaking up the sunshine.
I had almost forgot what the sun felt like
after all this blasted rain here.

Let me tell you,
sitting those 45 minutes
may have save us from completely falling over
the rest of the day.
Don't worry, we all stumbled
from being weary
and feeling like we had stubs for feet.

At cross walks when the
"green walker man" would flash,
signaling us to cross the street,
we were all pumped, ready to get to the other side,
ready to press forward.
We loved the green walker at the beginning of the day.
Especially the double green walkers
where we could cross the whole street
in one smooth swoop!
By the end however,
ooooh Mistah Green Walker Man,
I highly disliked him.
And so did my feet.
The Double Green Walker was a
definer
of my Paris experience.

The Musee d'Orsay
certainly did not receive our best foot forward.
We were all crashing into walls,
tripping up stairs,
laying on exhibit floors
and sitting on every bench we could find.

I felt very clever at one point because
I said I was defeated...de-feet-ed.
That was one of the longest,
funniest,
most exhausting,
best
days of my life.
I wouldn't change anything about it
but my feet may disagree with me on this one.

Day 3: May 11
This was our last day in Paris.
MaCall and I had a bit of a hectic start.
What did I learn?
Maybe only that you shouldn't rely on the hotel
to give you a wake up call.
Especially on the day
your whole group is checking out.
Just a suggestion.

We had called to have a wake up call at 7:45
to be ready to leave with our group by 9.
No such call ever came.
Luckily, MaCall saved the day
and somehow woke up at 8:52.
I don't think anyone in the history of the world
has ever looked so scattered
as we did that morning.
But we made it just in time,
and had quite the splendid day.

First
we were off to explore the Louvre!

We saw some pretty nifty things in there.
The Mona Lisa...she is one popular lady.
I've never experienced a mosh pit quite like that before.


Today certainly was a day of art.
These people are talented.
There is a reason they're in such incredible places.
Even the museums themselves
are a work of art.

Next it was off to L'Orangerie
where Monet's waterlillies
are on display.

We paid a nice little visit to Rodin.
He has a museum all to himself.
We had some fun there.
We especially liked posing with the statues.

Here we are in front of The Thinker.


 I've decided to call this
Rodin's "Single Ladies" statue.

I may or may not have done
the stanky leg
with one later on...
There is video proof I tell you,
so I may share that later.


We finished off our
time in Paris 
with a hello to the cathedral Sacre-Coeur
at Montmarte.
This place will now forever remind me of
- macaroons
- chocolate eclairs
- beautiful views
- churros made in front of my very eyes
- margharita pizza
- toblerone gelato..it was too expensive so i just looked...and drooled a bit
...and finally...
- snails

Yes,
Kate, Macall, Madeleine and I all decided to get
"Stuck in" France
and try out some escargot.
Really, not too bad.
Kinda good actually.
Maybe it's the fact that it's
soaked
in butter, garlic and other savory treats.
My mind did flash back a bit
to the first time Simba tried to eat bugs with his new pals.

Here's Kate and I before diving into escargot!
That last day in Paris
really was picture-perfect.
Our feet were numb by this point,
which I'm not really sure that's a good thing,
but we were able to keep going.

I mean, we were in Paris.
who were we
to let a few blisters and angry feet stop us
from seeing some of the most incredible things in the world?

And after everything we did,
everything we saw
and
everything we ate...
it's swell to be back home
in London.

1 comment:

  1. So much fun to remember the places we visited, plus read about your new experiences. Glad you made it all the way to the top and more...

    ReplyDelete